Friday, July 30, 2010

45

Current location: Chester, CA

45 rpm....remember those little records?

I-45...the shortest primary interstate highway

45 minutes...one half of a soccer match

+45...the international dialing code for Denmark

45...the number of years since I was born in this lifetime


Yes, today is my 45th birthday!! And I am utterly amazed at where I am at this stage in my life. It is still unbelievable to me that I am living my dream at such a relatively young age. When we first began dreaming this dream, it was discussed in terms of retirement. What age exactly that was, I don't know, but I'm sure it was sometime after 65. Then we started talking about how to achieve this dream early and figure out a way to retire early at 55. I'm not sure if that was Tracy's 55 or mine, but it just seemed like a good milestone.

But, ultimately, we couldn't find a good reason to wait and so here we are. When I stop to think about it, it is really mind boggling that we actually went through with it. I am proud that we had the courage to 'just do it'. I am honored by the support we have received, both by those who know us personally and those who only know us through this blog. I feel a certain amount of responsibility to succeed at this lifestyle for all those who are living vicariously through us and for those who will eventually follow us down the road.

I still think we are just a little bit crazy. How could we not be? I admit that I kind of like the idea of bucking the norm of society and finding our own way through life. We have no agenda other than to be happy. We still have to find ways to support ourselves and that brings it's own set of anxieties, but that's just part of the big puzzle of life and I am confident that we'll find all the right pieces.

But mostly, on the first day of my 46th year, I am just amazed at my good fortune. I am sharing my life with my soulmate and we've found a way to live life on our own terms. How could I be any happier? I can hardly wait to see what the next year has in store for me. Yes, this is a good life.

12 comments:

  1. "HAPPY 45 BIRTHDAY"
    You guys have done great and yes, you are a little bit crazy, but so are the rest of us. Remember this "Everyone seems normal, until you get to know them."

    We are so happy for you guys and look forward to ridding ourselves of the anchors that hold us down at this moment. We hope to cross paths with you guys one day.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday. Yes, to be able to do what you have done at 45 years of age is quite amazing. Might as well start before you get too old to enjoy it huh? Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIDDO! ;)

    I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy it. Rod and I are very proud of you and Tracy for taking the leap and accomplishing so much this past year. Passing the driving test is the one big accomplishments that I hold dearest.

    There is no doubt in my mind that the two of you could move mountains when you put your mind to it. Anything negative is just a bump in the road now. You've proved a lot to yourselves along this journey and arriving where you are today. That counts for so much.

    Wishing you the best birthday ever!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Connie, I turned 48 while on the road. Livin' the dream.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Connie!!! I hope you have a really great day celebrating YOU!!
    Yes, you all have done a tremendous job following your dreams at such a young age...that takes great courage but the rewards are mind-boggling!! Good for you both!!
    Hope to one day meet you guys!! :-)

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Connie! I hope to hit the road not too much later than you!! When we (hopefully) start in 2014, I will be 47. :)

    I hope you had an awesome day, and that the coming year is full of tons of awesome adventures for the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember these recent accomplishments when you're feeling low. Isn't life a hoot? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 45th. May you have many many more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short.
    HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY CONNIE!
    --Rod

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy (Belated) Birthday from the Freely Living Life Family! :)


    “It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.”

    You both have come so far! We have enjoyed (and are enjoying) following you on your journey. Remember, this is only the beginning! Yes, it is a very good life!

    See you down the road. . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry I'm so late coming to the party. Still wanted to send a belated birthday wish out to you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

    ReplyDelete